html xmlns:fb="http://ogp.me/ns/fb#"> The Horseless Housewife: Make no small plans...

Monday, February 18, 2013

Make no small plans...

It was about a year after we bought our nearly 50 acres of Wisconsin farmland that our Daughter, our first, was born. With plans of eventually turning this crop land into our personal horse farm, my first remark to my Husband was, "She's going to have a pony when she turns five."

She's now 4 years old and the land is still in hay.

Even though she has inherited the "horse bug"' (my husband jokingly calls it brain washing on my part!) I ponder if she's really ready, or am I unknowingly wandering down the path of being one of those pushy parents?

Thanks to close outs, she has already collected a lead line saddle, and paddock boots just waiting to be put to use. When I do drag out the saddles and bridles for some oiling, she grabs her saddle also. Seeing her spray a little too much Lexol, then quickly hand rubbing it into the stiff leather like Mommy does, invokes visions of my Daughter happily trotting around the show ring on a fat pony. Her helmeted hair in two darling braids, both ending with huge blue-ribboned bows, bounce around at every post like happy bluebirds. Playing Devil's advocate with myself, I recall a gawking long ago memory of a 40-something blond pony tailed Trainer/Parent.  In all her glory, she's perched heavily over the rail at a schooling show screaming, "MORE LEG!!!" to the perplexed 8 year old girl on the chestnut school horse.

I have given myself until this Summer to decide if she's strong enough physically, and mentally, to start looking for a barn to start lessons at. I mean, at this point, where is the line between a glorified pony ride, and actually learning to ride?

Now, my 2 year old Son, he's going to be a natural...Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment