html xmlns:fb="http://ogp.me/ns/fb#"> The Horseless Housewife: DIY Kentucky Derby / Special Event Hat (Part 1)

Saturday, April 20, 2013

DIY Kentucky Derby / Special Event Hat (Part 1)

Derby HatIf you follow Thoroughbred racing, or not, it seems that when the first Saturday in May approaches, everyone gets into the Derby. And by "Derby", I mean the Kentucky Derby; the Grand Dame of the them all...well, at least here in the States. And, if you are lucky enough to hold a ticket to the fanciest pomp and parade that Churchill Downs has to offer, then my Dear, you need a hat!
Derby hat    In this two part series, I will first show you how to become inspired and develop your ideas for your hat creation. In the second installment, I will assemble a hat, and show you some simple and easy embellishments.
Derby Hat
Although, I have attended my share of Arlington Million and Illinois Derby races, both in which women adorn themselves with beautiful and elaborate Derby-style hats; I had always made my own hat to fit my dress for the day. Your inspiration should start with what style of hat best suits your face, the weather, and the formality of the occasion.  Then, decide on your color combinations; pulling colors, tones and textures from your dress or outfit you chose to wear. Lastly, think about whether you would like to make a bold statement piece, or keep it simple and classic.

Derby HatNow, I believe finding the perfect base hat will be the hardest decision you will have to make in this process! The hat is the foundation, and ultimately has to be comfortable and frame your face well. You can grab a honest friend (or perhaps your Mother, right?) and try on varying styles of finer Department store hats. You may buy one there, or just try on a variety of styles to get an idea of suits you. Another option that I prefer, is to shop online at a Millinery supply store. Millinery's are persons who build and design hats from scratch, real artisans, as well as a time-honored profession. Keep in mind, your choice should be stable and stiff enough to support your embellishments, but "breathable" if you need the hat during hotter weather. 
Derby HatDerby Hat
                                                                                                        Some creative elements can be taken from your chosen accessories. Look at the natural textures or patterns of your jewelry, shoes or belts...is there a theme? Would you rather compliment these items with a similarly colored solid or tonal designed ribbon? Or on the contrary, would you like to call attention to say a particular piece of jewelry, by emphasizing or repeating the pattern in your hat? I love a little bit of "movement" in order to draw attention up to my face, and almost always add feathery plumes in my creation to achieve this. Again, Millinery supply stores offer a variety of add-on embellishments, but your local craft store can be just as productive with faux flowers, birds and feathers, butterflies, beading, buttons, netting, ribbon, leather...anything can be decorative if you have a theme! Additionally, I usually stick to three to four colors in my theme, total. I chose one of these colors as an accent straight away. The remaining colors can include the shade of the hat, or body, and the other colors are complimentary. If you are unsure if your colors will "go together" an easy way is to squint and visualize the color as a shade of grey. Dark, medium or light tones of grey will naturally complement similar dark, medium or light tones of grey. 

Lastly, I like to add a touch of personality: something that only I may know its meaning, or people who know me contribute it to my style. If I am creating a hat for an Equestrian event, there will always be a nod to that fact. It may be a pony bit, a piece of braided rein, stable colors or horse tail hair braided as decoration. Otherwise, I would add a subtle monogram, or use vintage buttons or costume jewelry. Either way, it helps to have your ideas narrowed down before you accomplish your shopping trip. That way, you won't end up frustrated and empty handed! 

Coming in Part 2: Creating fabric roses, simple stiching and gluing, and creating a focal  point.

Cheers!
Derby Hat



No comments:

Post a Comment