html xmlns:fb="http://ogp.me/ns/fb#"> The Horseless Housewife: Folk Art Feeder and More with Egg Tempera Paint

Monday, March 18, 2013

Folk Art Feeder and More with Egg Tempera Paint

folk art, chicken feeder,egg tempera paint
Spying the side of my new metal chicken feeder, it was begging for some kind of creative flair. A shiny, sleek canvas with a purpose, it reminded me of the old metal advertising signs for agricultural products. I figured that since I had two pre-kindergarten chicken helpers with me, I could paint on a folksy-type image resembling the chicken's food for the pre-readers (the bonus here is so they wouldn't mix the feed in the waterer!)

The one and only image that would seem appropriate for me would be Dekalb Feed's iconic "flying corn". Since my late Grandfather raised racing pigeons, and I later started college amongst the Dekalb corn fields, that flying corn was like history to me; there was no other choice!

Now, finding a food safe paint for metal, was another obstacle, since I wouldn't want any leeching to occur from the paint into the feed. I leaned towards egg tempera, a natural type of paint made from egg yolk, chalk and water. So simple that can be made easily at home! I am not overly concerned about the longevity of the image, since I am looking for a more aged advertising sign look, but you can also seal paint to a metal surface with food-safe clear shellac. Egg tempera also works great on wood, and canvas if you are looking to paint a sign for interior decorating.

Here is what you will need to paint with Egg Tempera
egg tempera paint suppliesFresh eggs, and two jars to separate the yolk from the white.
Vinegar
Water
Various size artist brushes
Pencil
Chalks (I used Artist Pastels I had on hand)
Muffin tin
Fine cheese grater



After finding the appropriate flying corn image online, I combined that with my lettering,  threw in a blue star for nostalgia, and printed it up to size.

Next, take a dark colored chalk and rub color over the back of your image. You only need to rub where you would want to transfer the lines. When you have finished, tape the paper-chalk side down-to the subject you want to paint, then start to trace hard over your computer generated lines to transfer your image. Make sure your subject is free of dirt and oil, you may also primer if necessary, as the Egg Tempera will not bond well to a dirty surface.

Finally, select your colors from your chalks and now you are ready to paint!


How to make Egg Tempera Paint
Egg tempera is only made from the yolk. The usual ratio for good consistency is one yolk per color. Count your color chalk choices and pull that many eggs to use. I had six colors, so I pulled six eggs.

egg yolkFor a smooth paint consistency, you need to eliminate the membrane from around the yolk. To do this, break your eggs carefully and separate the white from the yolk. Then gently place the yolk in your hand and run it under warm water for a few seconds and transfer to a paper towel. With a rocking motion, roll your yolk back and forth until the it dries, and the membrane starts to wrinkle.

seperating egg yolk

Transfer your yolk back to your hand and puncture the yolk from underneath with a fork or knife; drain liquid into your second jar, discard the membrane. Repeat process until all your yolks are in the jar. Add a few drops of vinegar to the yolks, which acts as an extender, stir and set aside.





grating chalk,pastelsUsing a fine cheese grater, grate your chalk color over a muffin tin cup. Place one color per cup, and grate enough color for the desired usage.


egg tempera paintSpoon about (1) Tablespoon of yolk mixture into the color cup. I recommend mixing one color at a time when you need it. Mix chalk color and yolk with your brush until smooth. Add a few drops of water to thin if needed. Too much water will give you runny paints, and is more difficult to use on a vertical surface. Dip your brush, grab your transferred subject, and you are now ready to paint within the lines!

Egg Tempera dries fast, so a second coat of color can be applied in about an hour. If you wish to apply a spray protective clear coat once you're finished, Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac is available in box stores, and is food safe.


egg tempera paint
                  


           Happy Painting!







"Green Chicken under a Rainbow" by my 4 year old Daughter


               

No comments:

Post a Comment