html xmlns:fb="http://ogp.me/ns/fb#"> The Horseless Housewife: Our Chicks are home to roost!

Friday, March 15, 2013

Our Chicks are home to roost!

After much anticipation, we are happy to introduce our new bunch of gals ~

Barred Plymouth Rock chicks, Black Jersey Giants,chicks

Two of the girls are Barred Plymouth Rocks and two are Black Jersey Giants. Although the Giants weren't on list of breeds I would like start with, they were my Husband's one and only choice. And as fate would have it, a trip to Farm and Fleet found us staring down at the tub containing these little peeps. With a deep sigh and uttering, "What the hay..." I guess he got his birds. Since our small lot of Buckeyes are still on back order at the Feed Store, two of my favorites, the Barred Rocks, also took the trip home with us on that snowy afternoon.

Now our brooder is a bit unique in that it is actually a portable Iguana cage, left over from my Husband's *cough* single days. It works quite nicely once I lined it with cardboard and pine shavings, giving the chicks plenty of room to roam.

chick brooder
 
 
And of course, everyone in the family has to take a peek at what is cheeping...
 
 


Our Rottie mix, would love to sleep there if I let her. But, I don't think the chicks would sleep easy!




Both breeds are cold hardy and friendly with people, which were my two greatest concerns in deciding which birds would suit us. I also do appreciate the fact that they are considered Heritage breeds. Any type of conservation of the American breeds, though minimal on my part, is worthy of a good try. If you are interested in reading about the efforts to save historic American breeds from the brink of extinction, please click on this link for the  American Livestock Breeds Conservancy which is a non-profit working to categorize and preserve Heritage fowl, rabbits, goats, sheep, swine, cattle and horses.

Another "chick pic" of one of the Barred Rocks who is showing a bit more personality as of yet. She seems to have earned the name, Fanny Price, from Jane Austen's book, "Mansfield Park"; one of my favorite reads.
 
 
 barred rock chick

 
Well, I believe I have just made another project for myself...plans for the Chicken coop! It won't be long before these girls will need to go outside! Stay tunes for more updates and antics as these babies get bigger...
 
 
Cheers!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment