html xmlns:fb="http://ogp.me/ns/fb#"> The Horseless Housewife: Lessons in Laurel Resting

Friday, March 1, 2013

Lessons in Laurel Resting

 I would say I am on the verge of middle-aged, a gen-x'er...but, you know...still under 40.  But, that doesn't mean that I am not looking forward to the big 4-0 bash. Actually, I have already started thinking about the logistics of it all. No, not about the awesome horse racing themed party my Husband is obligated to host; but that nagging, yet important milestone question. Am I making my mark?

"Don't rest on your laurels"  begins to chatter through my head like a NASDAQ ticker.

Some American households wouldn't be complete without a brimming shelf dedicated to the accomplishments of their family members. Humorously, I announce that there are two such shelves in my home! One is dedicated to my accomplishments in the Hunter ring, and the second, my Law Enforcement career. Which, might I add, predominantly displays my time as a Mounted Police Officer. Now, of course, these shelves take residence in an Equestrian-themed library, amongst the collections of books, photographs and figurines. And this makes it completely justifiable in my head.

But with the annual Spring cleaning taking shape, I now debate if more books would put these shelves to a better use. Truthfully, in embracing the shift of simplicity, these old achievements now wane in value. Maybe, it has something to do with the renewal of Spring. The careful thought that goes into planting the garden, the preparations for the first batch of fuzzy chicks. The hum of honey bees, and the smile that forms when you step outside and inhale fresh, sun-warm air. 

But, as my personal thesis takes shape, I reference my practical and plucky Grandmother for her insight and guidelines. Plainly, our differences lie in the fact that she truly lived during a time where she succeeded with what she had, and I...well, I have a choice. In her almost 90 years of living simply, she has undoubtedly made her mark on me, and her accomplishments were rooted in her strength of character. There will always be a high for every low. And if you are a "worker bee" like I am, wisdom will tell always you to start small, even with big ideas, and hopefully there will be new Laurels to attain. But, don't tell that to my prompting competive side, which has me thinking:

"Oooh! The County Fair season is just months away!"

It's another lesson in living the simple life; inspiration and objectives go hand-in-hand. But, like the thread-like seedling breaking through the peat in my starter trays, I too will eventually produce new fruit. Both making our mark on this year.

Hunter/Jumper, Horse, trophies, winning,riding horses

                                                                         Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment